Saturday, August 28, 2010

Politics Economics and Soccer

If you haven’t heard there are currently public service strikes in Cape Town. Teachers, bus drivers, police, public services are striking to get a pay raise. 6% to 8.3%. Now to us it may seem a simple thing that unions would handle, but no. Here it has been going on for about a week and there is no evidence of progress. First of all the government of SA does not have the money at the current time to increase wages. SA is the country in the world who spends the greatest percentage of their revenue on public education, so this clearly shows SA’s lack of funds and organization. Secondly, the government’s in Africa are known to be some of the most corrupt governments and I’m not saying that includes SA but it might as well. What I’m wondering is how much of the governments money and the aid that they receive from countries like the US and organizations actually goes to the public? All in the same, this is definitely a question for any country.

Today is the first day I actually talked about what an unstable country I am in, politically. The Facts: Nelson Mandela is getting old and sick, he does not have a lot of time left and that is greatly regrettable because he is a great man! When Mandela dies there may be an uprising of the Apartheid suffers (Mandela was the only one who believed in forgiveness and he was able to convince a nation to move beyond, but will they fall back to 1994 when he is gone?) There are two different parties in the government and everyone hates the current president. Tribal relations are very strong, making government spilt in many different issues and unable to get much accomplished. With all the different situations that could change, I still know that if anything happened we would quickly be sent off to the airport by (1) Interstudy, (2) DU, and (3) International SOS. But no worries, this is the adventure of a lifetime and I intend to enjoy it.

SA did host the World Cup this year and Friday I attended the first soccer game held in the Cape Town World Cup Stadium. It was absolutely amazing! I love soccer so the game was also definitely enjoyable. But the World Cup also shows what SA was able to put together and throw. SA is a developing country still but with great potential, the question is if the country will be able to utilize their potential.

I know there have been a lot more questions than answers today and I apologize some of the blog is clearly just what is going through my head at the time. Bare with me and I promise I will have fabulous experiences to tell you about soon, since spring break starts on FRI!!!!

It is already the 6th week of classes and I have no idea where the time has gone!

Well its time to get down to the nitty gritty I have a few papers and exams before spring break so this weekend will not be all that exciting, but I can’t wait to get out of dodge, sometimes you just need a break, what can I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment